Digital marketing is among the top industries that use Google Ads. It’s a super helpful tool for getting leads and sales for online agencies.
In this article, you’ll discover how GoHighLevel works with Google Ads. You’ll learn how to connect it for live reporting, set up conversion actions, and build workflows.
Table of Contents
- GoHighLevel and Google Ads Integration Overview
- Prerequisites for Google Ads Setup
- Connect Google Ads with GoHighLevel for Live Reporting
- Set Up Google Ad Conversion Tracking
- Build Workflows for System Integration
GoHighLevel and Google Ads Integration Overview
Google Ads, formerly called Google AdWords, is a well-known leader in pay-per-click (PPC) advertising. Its role is so central that it has become synonymous with paid online search.
You’re likely missing out on massive opportunities if you can’t connect it to your CRM platform.
GoHighLevel recognizes the importance of Google Ads, especially for its core users like marketing agencies and freelancers. The platform offers a simple, one-time connection to Google Ads.
There are two primary actions you can do with this integration:
Monitor Live Google Ads Reporting and Analytics
You’ll get to see an updated status of how your ads on Google are doing.
GoHighLevel presents metrics like clicks, conversions, conversion rates, and cost-per-click (CPC), which are crucial numbers showing if your ads are grabbing attention or prompting lead action. These metrics also tell you whether your ROI covers your spending effectively.
Additionally, GoHighLevel offers a detailed look at the performance of each Google ad campaign. This view helps you see how each contributes to your goals.
With this information, you can make intelligent campaign changes and focus on practical strategies.
You can also track performance over time inside GoHighLevel. This historical insight is beneficial as it allows you to compare current campaigns against past ones.
Automate and Track Google Ad Conversion Actions
Conversion tracking is a powerful, free feature that reveals what your leads do after interacting with your Google ads.
Say you have an ad for a client’s new service. Conversion tracking counts everyone who fills out a form after clicking it.
With GoHighLevel integration, you can automate the tasks you want to track. Each form submission or chat initiation linked to your ad is automatically recorded. This lets you quickly see which ads drive meaningful interactions.
Prerequisites for Google Ads Setup
Before diving into the setup process, I suggest that you prepare the following items for a smooth and efficient setup:
- Google Ad Account. Without an account, you won’t be able to set up Google and GoHighLevel integration.
- An Existing Google Ad Campaign. It would help to have an active campaign since the integration focuses on tracking and improving. Set one or create an ad group in your Google Ads account if you have none.
- Admin/Agency User Permission. Ensure you have the highest level of access on both Google and GoHighLevel. This means admin or manager rights on Google Ads and agency access on GoHighLevel.
- Conversion Actions to Track. Decide on the customer actions you wish to track from GoHighLevel. If sales are your focus, you’ll need a form for purchases on your site. For customer service tracking, have a phone number or chat widget ready. These points will be where your ad traffic is directed, so they should be prepared in advance.
Editor’s Note – The conversion tracking only works specifically with triggers like form submissions, order purchases, incoming phone calls, number pool calling, survey submissions, and chat widgets.
More About HighLevel:
- GoHighLevel Trial Options
- GoHighLevel Pricing Plans
- GoHighLevel Feature List
- GoHighLevel Integrations List
Connect Google Ads with GoHighLevel for Live Reporting
Here’s what you can do to monitor your Google Ads data inside GoHighLevel.
Step 1 – Sign In to Your Google Ad Account
Signing in to the manager account allows you to handle multiple client/business accounts and campaigns so you can quickly switch to the correct profile in a single login. You can read this guideline from Google if you need help with this step.
Step 2 – Locate Your MCC and Client Account IDs
Choose the sub-account you want to work on inside your GoHighLevel agency dashboard. Go to the “Integrations” tab under “Settings” to select Your MCC (My Client Center) or client account ID.
If you haven’t signed in to your Google account, now is the time to do so.
To find your MCC ID, look in the top right corner of your Google Ads dashboard.
For the Client Account ID, click on the help section.
Step 3 – Copy the UTM Tracking Template
UTM codes are essential for understanding your traffic sources. They clarify how users find your site through specific campaigns or platforms.
Google Ads allows you to add these codes at three levels – the account, campaign, or ad group. However, I recommend adding the UTM template at the account settings level for uniformity and consistency.
You may copy this UTM tracking template:
Go to your Google Ad account settings. Find “Tracking” and paste your UTM tracking template there.
Before moving to the next step, it’s a good practice to test the tracking code first. It will indicate whether you’re able to connect your GoHighLevel landing page successfully.
Make sure to fix the error, in case of one, or click “Save” if everything works properly.
Step 4 – Add Script for Precautionary Measures
A script in your Google Ad works as a backup. It ensures your tracking data is captured, even if there’s an issue with the UTM template. It monitors every click on a specific link and reports this data to Google Analytics.
- Go to your Google Ads dashboard and select “Tools and Settings,” then head to “Bulk Actions” and choose “Scripts.”
- Once there, clear out any pre-existing code and replace it with the new script you can find here.
- Rename the script for easy identification and adjust its frequency to hourly.
Set Up Google Ad Conversion Tracking
Step 1 – Access Conversion Action
Log into your Google Ad account. Navigate to the “Tools and Settings” menu. Select ‘Conversions’ under the ‘Measurement’ section.
Click “New conversion action.”
Step 2 – Choose the Conversion You Want to Track
Select the “Import” box. Choose “Manual import using API or uploads,” then click “Track conversions from clicks.” After that, press “Continue.”
Step 3 – Set Up Your Conversion Action
For the “Goal and action optimization,” select “Converted Lead” from the dropdown menu.
Add your conversion name. For this example, I’ll use “GoHighLevel campaign 1 clicks.”
In the next section, decide if your conversions have the same value or if you want to assign different values for your products or services.
Lastly, choose the following for the rest of the sections:
- Count – one (so Google Ad will consider unique clicks only and not every interaction)
- Click-through conversion window – 90 days
- Attribution – last-click or data-driven
Build Workflows for System Integration
After setting up your conversion tracking, it’s time to build your workflows inside GoHighLevel. GoHighLevel currently allows you to create the following automation for Google Ads – chat widget, form submission, incoming phone call, and number pool call.
Editor’s Note – While there’s no direct method to test conversions, you can check if it works by looking at your workflow’s history tab.
For Form/Survey Submissions
- Select “Form Submitted,” “Survey Submitted,” or “Order Form Submission” as your trigger.
- Click the “+” sign to add a new action. Choose “Add to Google AdWords” and select the conversion name.
- Toggle to “Publish” and “Save.”
For the Chat Widget
Tracking chat conversions used to be a pain, but not with HighLevel’s chat feature!
- Set up the workflow by choosing “When a customer replied” as a trigger.
- Click the “+” icon, select “Add to Google AdWords,” and choose the conversion name under the dropdown.
- Don’t forget to “Publish” and “Save.”
For Incoming Phone Calls
- Choose “Call Status” as your workflow trigger.
- Add the following filters:
- Call Direction -> Incoming
- In Phone Number -> (choose your phone number)
- For the action, select “Add to Google AdWords.”
- Hit “Publish” and “Save.”
For Number Pool Calling
- Select “Call Status” as the trigger.
- Add the following filters:
- Call Direction -> Incoming
- In Number Pool -> (choose your pool number)
- Click “Add to Google AdWords” for the action, then select the conversion name.
- Save and publish.
- Embed the pool number script in your website’s header.
Editor’s Note – It takes 24 hours for the details to appear in both the trigger/workflow section and your Google Ads Conversion section. During this day, you can look at the history of your workflow to see any updates.
Can You Run Ads Through GoHighLevel?
GoHighLevel doesn’t host ad campaigns itself. But it does work well with Google Ads, Facebook Ads, and TikTok Ads. You can use GoHighLevel to watch your ads on these platforms.
Does GoHighLevel Work With Google Ads?
Yes, it does. GoHighLevel connects to your Google Ads account. This lets you see how your ads are doing right from GoHighLevel. You can look at your ads, see how much you spend, and check out important things like how many people click on your ads.
While integrating Google Ads into GoHighLevel might initially seem challenging, it’s a manageable process that can significantly boost your marketing efficiency and insights.
You can bookmark and refer to this guide whenever you need help.